Propane safety is a top priority at Jack F. Corse Inc.
Did you know that propane has an excellent safety record as a residential and commercial fuel? This is due in large part to guidelines developed by the Vermont Fuel Dealers Association (VFDA). These guidelines cover everything from filling barbecue tanks to running fuel lines to hooking up appliances and installing propane tanks.
At Jack F. Corse Inc., your safety is our No. 1 priority. We adhere to all the latest guidelines on propane transportation, delivery and equipment installations. Our employees all complete the propane industry’s Certified Employee Training Program (CETP).
Propane consumer safety: what to do if you smell gas
Propane is an odorless gas, but propane manufacturers add an odor to alert homeowners in case of a gas leak. This smell has been compared to rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or even a dead animal. Make sure everyone in your home can recognize the smell.
- DO get everyone out of the home and away from nearby areas.
- DO attempt to shut off the valves at the tank if it is safe to do so.
- DO call your propane supplier and the fire department for help from a telephone that is away from the home or business.
- DO NOT attempt to find the leak.
- DO NOT attempt to repair your appliance or relight your pilot.
- DO NOT turn on or off light switches inside the home.
- DO NOT use a phone inside the home or in nearby areas.
- DO NOT light matches anywhere inside or near the home.
- DO NOT return to the building or area until it is determined to be safe by the responders.
Dealing with propane appliances
Many residents of our area use propane to cook their food, dry clothes and heat their home and water. Make sure your propane appliances have been professionally installed. If not, you should consider contacting Jack F. Corse Inc. to inspect your propane lines and appliances.
Propane is an ideal fuel choice for many Vermonters, but, as with any fuel, it’s important to follow established rules when it comes to safety.
More propane safety tips
To help you better understand how to approach propane safety in and around your home, whether it’s propane tank safety or safe propane handling, the Propane Education & Research Council has created these videos for your reference.